This session will cover key lending consumer compliance regulations (highlights of the Equal Credit Opportunity Act, HMDA, Flood, RESPA, Truth in Lending, and Fair Credit Reporting). It will also include a Bank Secrecy Act overview outlining “Five Reasons Lenders Should Have BSA Training”. We’ll review “what’s old, what’s new, and what’s to come”.
- BSA training for CIP in the lending area, due diligence for detecting potential money laundering activity and Suspicious Activity Report (SAR) basics.
- Fair Lending “best practices” and recent enforcement actions
- Reg B requirements for the life of the loan including tips for taking an application.
- Overview of HMDA data collection, common problems and best practices; preview of “NEW RULES” that become effective on January 1, 2018. The existing HMDA rules and coverage remain unchanged for the data collected in 2017.
- Overview of Flood requirements including the four trip wire events and changes for “detached structures” on residential property.
- “Integrated Disclosure” review for the coverage, timing, tolerances, and common disclosure problems.
- Special concerns about credit report accuracy, permissible purpose, and handling disputed reporting under the Fair Credit Reporting Act.
- Highlights of the most common errors in consumer real estate secured loans; tips to prevent violations.
- BONUS TOOLS
- Matrix of 28 types of real estate secured loans (consumer & commercial) showing the requirements for applications taken on or after 10/3/15 when the Integrated Disclosure rules became effective.
- “Matrix of suggested training topics by job function for consumer, mortgage, commercial lenders and for loan operations staff“
- Cheat Sheets” to help simplify compliance with several lending regulations.
This informative session is designed for compliance officers, auditors, loan officers, loan assistants, and loan administration staff. This seminar is designed for both those new to lending regulations or more experienced personnel looking for a review of existing requirements. While there is an emphasis on the regulations that relate to real-estate secured lending, this session will be helpful to any employee who assists members with various types of loan requests.
Susan Costonis is a compliance consultant and trainer. She specializes in compliance management along with deposit and lending regulatory training and began her career in 1978. Susan has successfully managed compliance programs and exams for institutions that ranged from a community bank to large multi-state bank holding companies. She has been a compliance officer for institutions supervised by the OCC, FDIC, and Federal Reserve.
Susan has been a Certified Regulatory Compliance Manager since 1998, completed the ABA Graduate Compliance School, and graduated from the University of Akron and the Graduate Banking School of the University of Colorado. She regularly presents to financial institution audiences in several states and "translates" complex regulations into simple concepts by using humor and real life examples.
MBA Member Price: $265
On-Demand Price: $295
What is a Webinar?
A webinar is an online seminar featuring audio, PowerPoint and other interactive features. The program may be viewed on most devices. No special hardware is needed; however, speakers or headphones are required. The program consists of 105 minutes of instruction and 15 minutes live Q&A. Each Live Webinar registration provides one connection to the webinar, materials and access to the On-Demand Webinar for 30 days. You may have unlimited listeners on your connection.
An On-Demand Webinar is a webinar that has been recorded and can be viewed at your convenience (24/7). Anyone at your branch may access the program online using the login. With an On-Demand Webinar, you have 6 months unlimited access to the program from the date of purchase (access to the live webinar is not included).